Friends of Ulysses S. Grant Cottage
- Non-Profit Organizations
Impoverished by a Ponzi-style swindle and dying of throat cancer, Ulysses S. Grant moved to the Cottage on June 16, 1885. With the love and support of his family, his publisher Mark Twain and the nation at large, he completed Personal Memoirs of U.S. Grant only days before his death on July 23, 1885. The publication of this two-volume work ensured his family’s financial security and gave the world one of the most critically acclaimed memoirs by a U.S. president or historic military figure.
Today, the cottage remains essentially the same as during the Grant family's stay. Visitors tour the downstairs of the cottage, viewing the original furnishings, decorations, and personal items belonging to Grant, including the bed where he died, and floral arrangements that remain from Grant's August 4th funeral. The cottage is now owned by the State of New York and open to the public by the Friends of the Ulysses S. Grant Cottage.
Located just 9 miles from downtown Saratoga Springs.
1000 Mt. McGregor Road, Wilton, NY 12831 Just 9 miles north of downtown Saratoga Springs